Horizon Reinforcing and Crane Hire has bought the first Kato CR-350Ri, 35 ton city crane in Scotland from distributor Rivertek Services.
The crane features a hydraulically telescopiing and hdyraulically luffing fly jib, outrigger length sensors with multiple set up options, a new colour touch screen safe load indicator system equipped with working range limiting functions and a Mitsubishi engine.
Horizon’s Stewart Dougall said: “This new Kato is replacing our existing Terex AC25 city crane and will offer our customers better lifting capabilities combined with Kato’s best technology.”
The team at Horizon reinforcing were devastated as many Scots were at the news of the fire at The Glasgow School of Art (GSA) .
We were honored to be able to assist in the rebuilding of such an important historical building.
Founded in 1845 as the Glasgow Government School of Design, it changed its name to The Glasgow School of Art in 1853. Initially it was located at 12 Ingram Street, but in 1869 it moved to the McLellan Galleries. In 1897, work started on a new building to house the school on Renfrew Street. The building was designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh, chosen for the commission by the school’s director, Francis Newbery, who oversaw a period of expansion and fast-growing reputation. The first half of the building was completed in 1899 and the second half in 1909. The School’s campus has grown since that time and in 2009, an international architectural competition was held to find an architect-led design team who would develop the Campus Masterplan and design the Phase 1 building. The competition was won by New York based Steven Holl Architects working with Glasgow based JM Architects. The Reid Building was completed in 2014 and sits opposite the Mackintosh Building on a site previously occupied by the Foulis, Assembly and Newbery Tower Buildings.
The school has produced most of Scotland’s leading contemporary artists including, since 2005, 30% of Turner Prize nominees and four recent Turner Prize winners: Simon Starling in 2005, Richard Wright in 2009, Martin Boyce in 2011 and Duncan Campbell in 2014. The School of Architecture is highly rated by the architecture profession and the School of Design has been described by Design Week as “leaders in design education”.
The School is organised into three academic schools, the Mackintosh School of Architecture (named after Charles Rennie Mackintosh, who is also the GSA’s most revered alumnus), the School of Design and the School of Fine Art, each with its own academic programmes and research centres. Alongside the three schools there are a Digital Design Studio, specialising in 3D visualisation and interaction, a Forum for Critical Inquiry, which provides a range of non-studio-based learning, teaching and research, and the Graduate School. The GSA also has a long-established portfolio of non-degree provision, including leisure classes.
Disciplines include Fine Art Photography, founded by Thomas Joshua Cooper in 1982, Painting and Printmaking, Sculpture and Environmental Art, Product Design, Product Design Engineering, Textiles, Silversmithing and Jewellery, Interior Design, Communication Design, Digital Culture and Architecture.
The original Mackintosh building was severely damaged by fire on 23 May 2014. The extent of the damage and the future of the building have still to be determined. An initial fire service estimate was that 90% of the building and 70% of its contents had been saved.
The fire, which began in the basement, quickly spread upwards and, although it was brought under control quite quickly, significant damage was done to the historic studios and stairways. The renowned Mackintosh library was destroyed; the archive was water damaged. but can be air and freeze dried There were no reported casualties.
The fire broke out as students were preparing for their Degree Show. Eyewitnesses said that the fire appeared to have started when a projector exploded in the basement of the Charles Rennie Mackintosh building just before 12:30pm. Investigators later determined that the cause was not a faulty projector, but “a canister of expanding foam” used in close proximity to a hot projector, causing flammable gases to ignite. According to The Scotsman newspaper, the use of aerosol cans is against school policy. However, the report from the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service found that the design of the building contributed greatly to the spread of the fire: “…the number of timber lined walls and voids, and original ventilation ducts running both vertically and horizontally throughout the building“ as well as “a vertical service void,” which “ran the entire height of the building…allowed flames, hot gases and smoke to travel.” In addition, an intended “fire suppression system” for the building had not been completed. A school staff member was on hand when the blaze first ignited, but was unable to contain the fast-spreading flames.
The dedicated team at Horizon Reinforcing will show you how we can enhance your home by creating space where there was no space before.
We’ll help you understand what can be achieved for your loft conversion and will guide you with the designs and ideas for your new conversion.
We offer the following services.
- BRICK & BLOCK WORK
- PLUMBING & DRAINAGE,
- STONE WORK,
- MANHOLE REPAIR
- PLASTERING & ROUGHCASTING,
- GARDEN PONDS & PATIOS,
- ROOFING & GUTTERING
- GARDEN WALLS,
- MONO BLOCK & SLAB LAYING,
- TURFING & SOFTSCAPE,
- CONSERVATORY BASES
HEAVY OR HIGH GIVE US A TRY
The Millennium Link was an ambitious £84.5m project with the objective of restoring navigability across Scotland on the historic Forth & Clyde and Union Canals, providing a corridor of regenerative activity through central Scotland.
A major challenge faced, was to link the Forth and Clyde Canal, which lay 35m (115ft) below the level of the Union Canal. Historically, the two canals had been joined at Falkirk by a flight of 11 locks that stepped down across a distance of 1.5km, but these were dismantled in 1933, breaking the link.
What was required was a method of connecting these two canals by way of a boat lift. British Waterways (now Scottish Canals) were keen to present a visionary solution taking full advantage of the opportunity to create a truly spectacular and fitting structure that would suitably commemorate the Millennium and act as an iconic symbol for years to come.
The resultant, a perfectly balanced structure that is The Falkirk Wheel – the world’s first and only rotating boat lift – was the eventual outcome of our collaboration with a design team that combined international experience of joint venture contractor Morrison-Bachy-Soletanche with leading specialists from Ove Arup Consultants, Butterley Engineering and Scotland-based RMJM architects.
Completion of The Millennium Link project was officially marked by Her Majesty The Queen on 24 May 2002 at The Falkirk Wheel.
The Kelpies are 30-metre high horse-head sculptures, standing next to a new extension to the Forth and Clyde Canal, and near River Carron, in The Helix, a new parkland project built to connect 16 communities in the Falkirk Council Area, Scotland. The sculptures were designed by sculptor Andy Scott and were completed in October 2013. The sculptures form a gateway at the eastern entrance to the Forth and Clyde canal, and the new canal extension built as part of The Helix land transformation project. The Kelpies are a monument to horse powered heritage across Scotland.
The sculptures opened to the public in April 2014. As part of the project, they will have their own visitor centre, and sit beside a newly developed canal turning pool and extension. This canal extension reconnects the Forth and Clyde Canal with the River Forth, and improves navigation between the East and West of Scotland.
The form of the structure is based on tenth scale maquettes, two three metre high miniature models built from 9,115 individually cut flat steel plates welded together over a wire frame by the sculptor, Andy Scott. The mosaic effect created by the flow of the plates and the view through the openings capture the horses as if in motion. The challenge was to take these scale models and translate them into an engineered solution, which had the structural strength required, could be suitably detailed for manufacture and transportation, and would stand as a monument for years to come, and yet retain the sculptor’s vision.
Horizon Reinforcing used 10 of their cranes on this project. Before work began the material was transported to the site from Asda Distribution. Over 100 loads were needed using Horizon specialist transportation.
Being part of the construction of the the Kelpies was a real privilege. The team created something which not only we can be proud of, but is a source of pride for the community and a symbol for regeneration for the area. The engineering behind the sculpture was challenging, with many complex issues to resolve, but the finished product is not just a beautiful piece of artwork, it’s a showcase of innovative structural and mechanical engineering.